Home › Forums › Benchmarking e-learning with the e-Learning Maturity Model (eMM) › eLearning activities' maturity
In preparation for our discussions on Tuesday, I’d love to hear what measures, if any, your respective organisations have taken to ensure that eLearning activities are maturing.
Maturity = ‘… an evolutionary progress in the demonstration of a specific ability or in the accomplishment of a target from an initial to a desired or normally occurring end stage’ (Mettler, Rohner & Winter, 2010 p.334).
Mettler, T., Rohner, P. & Winter, R. (2010). Towards a Classification of Maturity Models in Information Systems. In A. D’Atri et al. (Eds.), Management of the Interconnected World, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
My Institution, University of Ibadan has put in place infrastructural facilities for e Learning adoption and maturity. Training has also been conducted for staff on ICTs utilisation in teaching and learning. Of recent the Open and Distance Learning Centre (ODL)of the University is shifting towards engaging students through social media tools to facilitate e-learning. ODL Students have been given Tablets that would enable them to carry out e-learning activities. ODL Students in University of Ibadan now carry out their continous assessment online. They also write examinations using CBT Mode.
I’m not sure if you’ve had a chance to go through my Presentation yet, but that’s essentially my conclusion. Although most institutions are implementing eLearning, optimisation is one crucial area that is not being fulfilled. This is a great concern as when you begin to optimise your eLearning activities, you have reached the epitome of what you should be doing. At the Centre I work for, we are currently relooking our eLearning strategies for this purpose. I think it would be great to brainstorm some ideas to achieve this. What do you think?
Impressive. It certainly sounds like your institution is driving eLearning in a big way! I can relate with so much of what you shared. The Centre I work for caters to Distance education students, and like you; we use social media for eLearning purposes and we are currently piloting the use of iPads at a Higher Education institution. If you don’t mind me asking, could you kindly detail what facilities your institution has put in place for eLearning maturity?
My names are Emmanuel Oluwapelumi ONI
I am working as a Library Technologist
the Centre for Educational Media Resource
Studies, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. My
focus and research is on ICT in schools,
application of ICT in school libraries, and
mobile technology in conducting online
exams. I am very sure I will gain a
lot from this group
Hello Antoinette. Some of the basic facilities that my institution has put in place for e-Learning maturity include:
1. Building of a Computer Based Testing Centre for writing of examinations and continous assessment by students on ODL programme.
2. Provision of customised I-Pad for ODL students admitted for the current session, 2014/2015. The I-Pads are customised with learning resources such as course materials and handouts relevant to students programme
3. Building of ODL Portal for students registration and access to information about ODL programme
4. The ODL Portal also has e-library which students can access after due registration
5. Creating of social media platforms such as facebook and google plus to facilitate communication among students and between students and teachers
6. In some cases the social media platforms are being used to engage students in learning activities.
7. Appointment of academic advisors to engage students online on learning activities
8. Regular training for facilitators on online facilitation.
9. Regular training for students on how to maximise the use of mobile devices for mobile learning.
10.Compulsory computer proficiency training and testing for all ODL students to sharpen their ICT skills
11. Regular training for facilitators on how to set computer-based examinations and continous assessment
12. Uploading of all course material on the Distance Learning Centre’s portal to make it available online for students
13. Creating of DLC based e-mail addresses for all students and facilitators to facilitate communication such as submission of assignments between students and facilitators.
There are some other facilities in the pipeline that are yet to mature
I hope I have been able to answer your questions
Just to clarify, the Polytechnic has not yet implemented the use of iPads, we are simply piloting them. So no costs are involved at this stage. This is a wonderful initiative from the Core Group. I’d suggest you get in contact with them and I’m sure they’d gladly ‘loan’ you iPads for piloting purposes as they are doing with us. This is a fantastic way to gauge their usefulness, user-friendliness etc etc.
Am very sorry for replying you late Antoinette, yes, we are advancing gradually in the use of technology. Am basically in-charge of ICT operation, like OPAC, Openbiblio, etc. Am in the area of giving instructions to our library users on how to access online informations, and how to solve the net for quick informations, that would be useful for their academics enrichments.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.